Thursday, October 21, 2010

First epic failure

Well not everyone is perfect, and I have demonstrated that in spades.  In my attempt to please my wife and make a batch of beer specifically for her the yeast did not want to cooperate.  I used liquid yeast for the first time in a “smack pack” and was struggling from the beginning.  I hit the pack up and down and it took about 6 days to expand to the usable size.  The actual fermentation went well, and while the OG was a little lower that what was expected, it was not a problem.  I added the yeast and let that baby go. 

The transfer to the carboy and the secondary fermentation also went off without a hitch and everything was looking good.  After a couple of weeks I took a gravity reading and had to do a double take.  I let is go a week or so more, took another reading and was still confused.  The “beer” was about 1.4% alcohol…I put it into a keg hoping that something good might happen, but this is just a wasted batch. 

A couple days ago I brewed another witbeer hoping for redemption.  This morning I checked it and am somewhat concerned as the bubbles are few and far between.  I am hoping a few more days will get that yeast going and I can add another batch to the kegerator!

__________________________________________________________

“The government will fall that raises the price of beer” – Czech Saying

No comments:

Post a Comment