Monday, January 10, 2011

Witbier is alive

Attempt number two at a Belgian Witbier can now be considered successful.  While the beer is a little darker than I thought it would be the taste is excellent and it is finally carbonated.  Before Christmas I put this into a keg, fired up the CO2 and let it go.  Coming back home the beer was pretty flat and there was not much CO2 left in the keg. I transferred the brew to a different keg, cranked up the CO2 and let it rip.  The head on the beer is solid now and I think with a few more days a rest it will be ready to go. 

I am having some trouble understanding exactly how to force carbonate beer as I am still new to the keg game.  I think for my next batch, which is a Czech Pilsner currently in the lagerator (mini fridge I use for lager fermentations), I will add in the priming sugar and let it naturally carbonate in the keg.  After a few weeks I will add enough CO2 to get it through the lines and see what happens.  The best part is the experimenting and finding out new things. 

Below will be a pic of the witbier in all its glory.

 

 

_________________________________________________________

“Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies come to life and fade away. What care I how time advances; I am drinking ale today.” – Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment